Handheld GPS Garmin eTrex Touch 35
The Garmin eTrex 35 handheld GPS device is notable as an all-around portable GPS device for outdoor exploring and adventure. Garmin designed this device for simplicity, ease of use and as a perfect multipurpose device for a wide array of activities including hiking, mountain biking, tour biking and geocaching. The 35 series is the first in the eTrex range with a touchscreen. It is a compact measure just 3.6 x 5.5 cm (1.43" x 2.15") and weighs 5.6 ounces with batteries included. It packs 8gb of memory with expandable memory options and boasts built-in high sensitivity receiving.
Handheld GPS Garmin eTrex Touch 35 functionality
Garmin manufactured the Touch 35t and Touch 35 as the eTrex Touch 35. Both devices under the eTrex range have similar functionality, the only difference being that the Touch 35t comes preloaded with topographic maps which are available in the Touch 35 via download. Each eTrex 35 comes with Bluetooth 2.0 for pairing with Android or iPhone smartphones. There is a small USB port to enable users a direct connection to computers and other devices. There is a MicroSD card slot under the battery space that supports up to 64GB.
Garmin eTrex Touch 35 Battery Life
The good news for outdoor lovers is the battery will last up to 16 hours, and 2 AA batteries are easily changeable to extend the life. There are several battery types supporting each unit; Alkaline, Lithium, NiMH, and Precharged NiMH. The option for changing the backlight time light gives users the chance to save battery power. Using the display feature dims the screen to optimize battery saving. There are also color modes for contrasted use during the day and night.
- Satellite reception is fast, featuring high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, HotFix satellite prediction and GLONASS for accurate location tracking.
- The eTrex is a small compact handheld unit weighing 158g (5.6 ounces) and fits perfectly in one hand. There is only one button and this powers the unit, the touchscreen does the rest. The touchscreen is, however, low-resolution 160x240 pixel display.
- Barometric altimeter for accurate elevation detail
- 3-axis tilt compensated electron compass to know where you are going even when standing still
- IPX7 water resistance so it can stay submerged for 30 minutes
- An array of compatible mounts
- For the cyclist this device comes with a temperature sensor, heart rate monitor, bike speed and cadence sensors, all of which can be turned on or off depending on user preferences
- ANT+ for connectivity to compatible Garmin devices. Unit-to unit transfer for wireless data sharing with similar units
- A small notch on the back cover seals the device from possible water penetration
- A carabiner clip attaches to the back cover for easy hanging
- 250,000 preloaded worldwide geocaches
· Multipurpose handheld GPS device for hiking, mountain biking, cycling and tour biking
· Compact, small, lightweight easy to carry and easy to use
· Dual battery enabling selection between AA or lithium compact batteries
· Compatible with several mounts
· ANT+ Connectivity to compatible Garmin devices
· Available maps
· 3-axis tilt compensated electronic compass and barometric altimeter
· Heart rate monitor, speed and cadence sensors turned off or on according to preference
· 8MB memory with memory expandable option
· Low resolution screen
· Activity history and track manager are not clear