You know the most baffling constant about technology –it is evolving! It is amazing how much Global Positioning System (GPS) has changed since declared functional in 1995 powered by 24 satellites. Nowadays we have become super dependent on GPS devices for direction and location. Having a Handheld GPS device is the equal of having a compass; map and wind speed compacted and placed in the palm of your hand.
The principle behind GPS is very simple- it works by providing a set of geographical coordinates such as a place’s latitude, longitude and elevation on Earth. The GPS device also gives out very accurate time.
The basic functionality of GPS technology is limited to receiving satellite signals and calculating position information. Things like navigation systems, tracking devices, surveying and mapping instruments are simply different applications of the technology.
With dynamic changes and developments, GPS now possesses a broad range of functions. Be it going about with your everyday activities or taking a trip to the countryside; knowing your whereabouts is a must. Since the human brain can only hold so much information, it comes as a relief that there are devices to help with tasks such as finding the best route. The availability of GPS Handheld devices provides a solution for portable support. Thus, it makes Handheld GPS devices indispensable. Their make and functionality distinguish them, yet they are all the same when it comes to the benefits of having a GPS unit. Read on to find some of the advantages of Handheld GPS units.
- Measuring slope/water depth—In 2014, the New Atlas published that “Instead of tide gauges that use electronic sensors in a pipe to measure water level height, the system developed at Chalmers University uses Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) radio signals from systems such as GPS…” Although it is not possible to measure mean sea level using Handheld GPS units; it is still possible to measure slopes, hiking distances, as well as water depth when rafting, canoeing, camping, and fishing. A Handheld GPS can be used to navigate across water bodies. Moreover, there are specialized handheld GPS devices designed especially for fishers. These can be used for fishing, boating, and other open water activities.
- Inbuilt thermometer is one of the most advanced benefits which come with owning a handheld GPS. Using the GPS thermometer function can provide wind speed, temperature and air pressure measures allowing up to date weather expectations at your destination and during the tramp. Detection of Potential
- The best GPS units are waterproof a feature which makes the device an invaluable addition for any hiking, tracking, tramping, boating, fishing and trekking trips in all areas and in any weather conditions.
- Hazards—Advanced handheld GPS devices come with an inbuilt beacon. Using the beacon can help save a life in case of a storm or any other natural disasters about or happening in a particular area.
- This is the best navigating system in water as in larger water bodies we are often misled due to lack of proper directions
- Record and Store Places—One of the most exciting things about traveling is informing memories. Once planning the journey, the excitement spills over to everyone involved. With a handheld GPS unit, it is possible to share in the fun with everyone by recording favorite spots and information. There is a lot of memory allowing for extended recording of up to weeks. Additionally, the multi-functional GPS devices can work in activity tracking or watch mode while seeing GPS.
- Color Touch Screen Display—Let’s agree on one thing, plain black and white can be boring. Owning a GPS unit is exciting, to begin with. Now getting a functional device with a color touchscreen display is a bonus. With the latest range of devices, it’s easy to point on the display map with your finger the area of interest.
- Navigation—Using your handheld GPS device, you can work out the best route for your trip. These intelligent devices use trilateration. For example, connecting and locking into a minimum of 3 satellite signals to pinpoint your exact current location. Since there are currently 24 active satellites orbiting the earth, your device can triangulate any 3 of them. Depending on the power and functionality of your unit, you can get simple to detailed instructions once the route between the current position and final destination has been imaged.
- Direction—Perfect for people without a sense of direction! You know, there are times when you get lost not because you don’t know where you want to head out, but it happens? Good news, with handheld GPS, there is no need to scratch your head for direction. The GPS receiver works from current location to destination. So if you take a detour, you will still get directed until you reach the final point. See, the things are, once the navigator has mapped out the route between two points, the handheld GPS will give directions until you reach the end point. It doesn’t get easier than this right? Conclusion
Currently, there are some GPS handheld units on the market. Before selecting one, don’t just consider the price. It helps to spend time researching about a product, reading the user feedback and reviews. Presently, Garmin is the leading manufacturer, and people seem to love the GPS devices. But, don’t just take my word for it, go out there and get the retailer to explain the features on each device before selecting the one. With handheld GPS devices, you can have an easier daily routine. Or better yet, plan your next canoeing, camping, hiking or geocaching trip like a pro.